Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Apple Debuts "iPad"

Sanitary Napkin

Apparently, no one in the marketing department thought of the obvious connotation.

Judging by what I've seen, this is basically an iPhone on steroids. Which Mark McGuire will tell you, isn't necessarily a good thing. The iPad starts at $499 for a 16GB, Wi-Fi-Only model. That's pricey for something that's too big for a pocket, can't run simultaneous applications (like a real computer can do), looks cumbersome to hold while typing, still doesn't display websites that use flash animation, and doesn't really offer much more than an iPhone does except a larger screen and more robust applications.

And while this idea is nice, it looks a bit off:

Keyboard Stand
w/ Keyboard Dock (Sold Separately)

Would Apple have been better off launching a touchscreen netbook similar to what the iPad-keyboard dock combo appears to be? At least then, presumably, you could watch a movie while surfing the web or play a game while IMing, which are things Apple seems to not realize people do on their computers. The iPhone operating system is perfectly designed for a phone... but a computer, or tablet, needs to offer more.

I'm sure I'll check it out at the Apple Store, but it's not something I'm rushing to buy. I haven't seen anything I can't live without, and I haven't seen anything I want. Maybe something will change my mind. But basically, it looks like Apple just made a very expensive drawing pad/book.

I'm not that impressed, Apple. "iPad?" Seriously?

Again:
Sanitary Napkin

No comments:

Visitor Map: