Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Almost Got Me...

I received an email today:

Hello Your package has been returned to the USPS office. Reason: "Incorrect delivery address" Please print out the invoice copy attached and collect the package at our office. Thank you.
USPS Global Services.
Sounds good, I'll just download this file and...

Wait.

What package? I didn't send anything. And... a .zip file? Curious. And... the email says USPS, but it's marked with a "via srs.kundenserver.de."

All this stuff tips off a savvy e-mail user. Something's not right. So I did what I usually do in these situations...

To Google!

And I find this: Ups Virus Warning

So be careful this holiday season. Good rule of thumb... never download a .zip file. Ever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I got one today so I thought I'd google the content just to check if it was a scam. Found your post. Will delete immediately!

Anonymous said...

THANKS ADAM. I RECEIVED AN EMAIL VERY SIMILAR FROM USPS GLOBAL SERVICES SAYING THAT THE POSTAL CODE WAS INCORRECT AND I WOULD HAVE TO PAY 5.98 PER DAY FOR ITS KEEPING IF I DID NOT RESPOND IN 30 DAYS. IT ALSO CONTAINED A ZIP FILE THAT I WOULD HAVE TO DOWNLOAD TO GET THE INFO. MY SMARTSCREEN FILTER "SAYS" IT LOOKS SUSPICIOUS. THE LOCATION THAT THE PACKAGE IS AT IS IN PITTSBURGH. I WILL DELETE IT AND PASS THIS INFO ON.

Adam said...

Glad to help!

Visitor Map: