Monday, May 08, 2006

When 14-Year-Olds Attack

So Saturday I went to the The Bamboozle with my roommate, a high-powered music executive, who got the tickets for free. The headliners were Fall Out Boy and All American Rejects, not exactly my favorite groups. But hey, a free concert? I'm not gonna pass that up.

I've never been surrounded by so many 14-year-olds with pierced nipples and tattoos in my entire life.

Am I getting too old to go to concerts? At times, I felt like maybe so. A bunch of kids were throwing gatorade and water bottles into the crowd, hitting people in the head. I found myself holding back from saying "hey kids, knock it off."

The thing is, I used to be one of those kids. Moshing in the pits and coming home with bruises. I never pierced my nipples or got a tattoo, but I did once own a chain wallet and baggy shorts.

On Saturday, I wasn't moshing. I was pissed off because I stepped in mustard and got it on my shoe. And I felt like saying, "Hey, you with the hot dog. THERES A TRASH CAN RIGHT THERE!!!"

Instead I drowned myself in $6.75 beers. A few of which I got for free by helping some of the other older kids skirt the one beer at a time limit.

I got to see Minus The Bear, which I'm sort of familiar with, and Liam and Me, who are apparently being pursued by several major labels and may be THE NEXT BIG THING. I also caught a bit of the Relient K act (those christians can rock) and, as I was leaving, heard the All American Rejects. As luck would have it, I was almost to the racetrak when they started playing. Why luck? Well, lets just say you do not want to be in the center of the sonic boom unleashed by a thousand simultaneously screaming 14-year-old girls. Unless, you're R. Kelly. When the Rejects came on stage, the screams were so loud my upstairs neighbors in Stuyvesant Town called in a noise complaint. I think the seagulls that hang out in the Giants Stadium parking lot won't be coming back for a while.

Anyway, here's some choice pictures from the show/Meadowlands.

Minus The Bear:
Minus the Bear

Beach Balls In Flight:
Beach Balls

Liam and Me:
Liam and Me

Stampede Of The 14-Year-Olds:
Stampede

Such A Pretty Toxic Swamp:
Toxic Swamp

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing you left your chain-velcro wallet at home (remember those mate!?)

I actually went with a friend to this crapfest with a friend on Sunday. Like you - I got free tix from a friend hook-up at Virgin.

I guess anyone who wines and weighs 120 lbs w/ stupid dork hair and no style can get a record deal. I bet Pac-Sun and Hot Topic are having their best quarters ever! I also believe Shampoo and Tanning Salons are taking a hurt.

I do respect Giants stadium for not allowing those whiney bands and their jerk-off fans inside. Back you animals! Stay in the parking lot!

Adam said...

haha, i totally agree. it was like a competition to see which band had the whiniest lead singer (my vote: The Rocket Summer)

Visitor Map: